Hyundai Kona Electric
$A59990+ (estimated base price)
Available: Q1, 2019
With the new, battery electric Hyundai Kona electric with 400km real world range, Hyundai is further expanding the model diversity of alternative-powered vehicles. The Hyundai Kona electric rolls in two performance variants, however only the longer range variant with 64kWh battery is expected in Australia. With a maximum range of up to 470 kilometers (WLTP), the climate-friendly version of the Hyundai's lifestyle SUV combines two key automotive industry trends: compact SUV format and emission-free electric drive.
|EV Type||BEV||Charging Plugs (AC)||Type 2|
|BEV Range (km)||449||Charging Plugs (DC)||CCS2|
|Real World Range (km)||400||Max Charge Rate (kW, AC/DC)||7/100 (TBC)|
|Battery Size (kWh)||64||Tow Rating (kg)
|Max. Power (kW)||130||Max. Torque (Nm)||285|
Reviews & Road Trips
- Tow Story: Hauling a camper trailer with an electric Kona - A Hyundai Kona electric with towbar has successfully completed a test run towing a newly-acquired camper trailer.
- Are (non-Tesla) EVs capable of the Great Australian Road Trip? - In an effort to test the ‘endurance-run’ category, I recently set out on a Melbourne to Sydney road trip in my new Kona electric.
- From Shellharbour to Cairns in a Kona Electric - Proud new owners take their Kona electric car on a 5,000km road tour, testing out the Australian charging infrastructure and the ability to tow a trusty kayak.
- Tesla sells 80% more than other EV makers as hybrid sales soar - August EV sales data shows Tesla is still dominating the Australian EV market, while consumers show a distinct preference for hybrids.
- Hyundai reaps rewards of electrification strategy, while other ICE players languish - Hyundai Motors is the only major legacy auto maker to deliver a positive stock return so far in 2020, prompting S&P Global to give thumbs up to its electrification strategy.
- “Why do you want to go electric?” Some car dealers only want to sell ICE - A potential electric car buyer is first rebuffed, then talked down, by two separate dealerships, highlighting the need for more dealer support in selling electric vehicles.
Read more about the Hyundai electric cars