South Korean Car maker Kia is giving the all-electric e-Niro an upgraded refresh for the UK, announcing a new “high specification” 2020 model to replace the original “First Edition” model.
The e-Niro compact SUV has proven popular since its introduction in late 2018, to the point that Kia recently announced it would ramp up supply for the island nation in 2020 to fill some 3,000 waiting orders.
At the time the car maker said the new stock would feature some new upgrades, which it has now outlined as the e-Niro ‘4’.
Available now from £34,495 ($A66,028 converted) after applying the UK plug-in Car Grant, the new e-Niro model says goodbye to the old 7″ touchscreen and hello to a new, larger 10.25″ touchscreen that now comes with a navigation system with telematics as standard.
In addition to the upgraded touchscreen, the e-Niro ‘4’ gets LED headlights with bi-function projection, inside the vehicle is ambient lighting and a new heating system for the battery.
The 64kWh e-Niro ‘4’ still offers the same 282 miles (450km) driving range, 395Nm maximum torque and a 7-year, 100,000 mile warranty.
Winner of numerous awards in 2019, including the coveted What Car? Car of the Year title, best electric car in UK’s Business Car Awards, and named a “game-changer” in the UK Autocar awards, the e-Niro is the cousin to Hyundai’s Kona Electric.
It was also previously slated for a January 2020 release in Australia, a keenly awaited release that has since been delayed in part due to UK demand but also because of Australia’s lack of policy measures to reduce transport-related carbon emissions.
In addition to the upgraded specifications, the e-Niro ‘4’ will come standard with the following:
- Black leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Electronic parking brake with autohold
- Automatic air conditioning
- Adaptive Smart Cruise Control with Stop and Go
- Smart entry system with engine start and stop button
- Wireless mobile phone charging
- Apple CarPlayTM and Android AutoTM smartphone connectivity
- Eight-speaker JBL® premium sound system and DAB radio.
Safety equipment included in the e-Niro ‘4’ is as follows:
- Lane Follow Assist (LFA)
- Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS)
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
- Seven airbags, including one for the driver’s knees.