American motoring giant Ford has two all-electric crossover SUVs in the pipeline, according to several sources with knowledge of the company’s plans. And US President Donald Trump is clearly not happy.
Codenamed CDX746 and CDX747, the production of the two vehicles is planned for late 2022 or early 2023, with one to be made under the Ford brand and another with a Lincoln badge.
According to the three sources, which shared the details with Automotive News, they will both be mid-sized crossovers similar to the Ford Edge (sold in Australia as the Endura) and the Lincoln Nautilus (not available here).
They will be made at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Michigan, with 65,000 units planned for production per year, the sources said.
The two vehicles were previously planned to be built at Ford’s Mexican manufacturing facility in Cuautitlan, where it is said that the Mustang-inspired ‘Mach 1’ electric crossover will be built.
While the reason for the move to Michigan was not clarified by the sources, it is entirely likely it has something to do with Ford’s $US500 million ($A737 million) in Michigan-based startup Rivian that has an all-electric SUV and ute (pickup) in the making.
Under the deal inked with Rivian, Ford will make use of Rivian’s skateboard platform and electrical architecture it has developed for its R1S SUV and R1T ute.
The move to produce the new Lincoln and Ford EV in Michigan suggests that they may also benefit from Rivian’s expertise.
Along with the Mach 1, the all-electric F-150 and another EV that Ford is said to be planning in collaboration with Rivian, the two new models bring the total number of EVs so far to five, out of a promised 16 from the carmaker.
Ford has also formed a partnership with German carmaker Volkswagen that will also see the American carmaker explore autonomous vehicles and other mobility services.
The news of the two new models comes just days before American leader Donald Trump unleashed a Twitter rampage against a California deal by Ford, Volkswagen, Honda and BMW to oppose the rollback of US emissions regulations designed to mitigate climate change.
On Thursday morning (Australian time), Trump tweeted: “Henry Ford would be very disappointed if he saw his modern-day descendants wanting to build a much more expensive car, that is far less safe and doesn’t work as well, because execs don’t want to fight California regulators.”
….that when this Administration’s alternative is no longer available, California will squeeze them to a point of business ruin. Only reason California is now talking to them is because the Feds are giving a far better alternative, which is much better for consumers!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 21, 2019
In July, a Trump advisor called Toyota, Fiat Chrysler and General Motors to the White House to pressure the carmakers into supporting the president’s desire to roll back the US emissions laws, at the same time Mercedes-Benz looked to join the California deal, according to the New York Times.
Trump’s actions are at odds with the wishes of several carmakers in the US, who are concerned that the emissions rollbacks may upend the US auto market, splitting it into two camps and causing a fierce legal battle between the state of California and the US federal government.